Even if you have a heart condition or get medical tests or checks for it, you may still benefit from speaking to a genetic expert.
- Genetic experts are medical professionals trained to look for signs of an inherited heart condition, which might involve different heart problems – maybe one you don’t have, or one you aren’t checked for. A genetic expert can help you better understand your risk for heart problems that may run in your family. They may also reassure you about heart problems you thought could be inherited, but usually aren’t. They can also fill any gaps in your regular medical care to ensure you’re getting everything you need. This may include genetic testing for you to consider.
- Genetic testing can tell you if you have inherited a risk factor for heart disease. There are different genetic testing options. A genetic expert can walk you through your best testing options, tell you about the pros and cons and help you decide if you want to proceed.
- Genetic test results can be tricky to understand. Genetic experts can explain your results to you and then help you make an action plan to take full advantage of what you learned with your doctor.
- Genetic experts recognize that people often come to see them because they’re concerned about their family’s health. Genetic experts consider the whole family and can help you understand any risks for heart problems for that your family members could have, including:
- Helping you make a plan for talking to your family members about their risks
- Helping to arrange genetic testing for interested family members
- Offering medical recommendations for your family members to reduce their risks for heart problems