Some of the information we collect can directly or indirectly identify you. This is called your Personal Information. We collect this information in a variety of ways through our websites, social media pages, online, and offline. These include:
Information you provide us:
- Contact information (such as first and last name, mailing address, email address, telephone number, professional affiliation);
- Demographic or geographic information (such as gender, date of birth, age, zip code);
- For healthcare professionals: information obtained from a w-9, information obtained from public sources or databases, professional affiliations, and credentials (such as resume or CV or information from these documents, Medical License Number, specialty, skills) contact information, educational and professional history and publications;
- Data about your medical condition(s);
- Your photograph, video, voice recording, or digital electronic signature;
- Your social media handle;
- Other information you choose to provide to us that will be used in accordance with this Notice.
Information collected automatically:
- Usage information about your interaction with our website and online content (such as pages visited, frequency of access, time spent on each page, browser used, internet address of the site that directed you to our website and referring website details).
- Location information about your location, which may be determined through your IP address. You can adjust your consent to providing location information in the browser settings.
- Device information about the device you use to access the website, such as hardware model, operating system, browser, and device preferences.
Information from Other Sources: We may also receive information about you from other sources, including third parties, such as our business partners, our affiliates, publicly available sources, or social networks in which you participate.
HOW WE COLLECT YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION
Genome Medical limits the collection and use of personal information to what is necessary to fulfill the purpose for which it was collected. Examples of these purposes are:
- signing up for a newsletter;
- registering for an event or program;
- signing up for informational or marketing material;
- directly contacting us or providing us your information;
- visiting our websites or offices;
- using our services;
- interacting with you on social media or via email;
- responding to inquiries; or
- other means
If you submit Personal Information relating to others, you represent to Genome Medical that you have the authority to do so.
HOW WE USE YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION
- To respond to your requests;
- To improve our level of service;
- To provide our products and services to you;
- To promote our products and services;
- To provide you information when you request it, or when we believe it may interest you;
- To invite you to provide your views on our products and services, participate in research or attend events;
- To complete transactions;
- To report any product adverse events that you notify us about;
- To perform analytics and understand your preferences;
- To provide access where required to our sites and facilities;
- For our own administrative and quality assurance purposes; and
- For other purposes that may be detailed on our website which will be described at the time the information is collected, and as permitted by applicable law.
HOW WE SHARE YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION
- With our subsidiaries and affiliates. When necessary, we share your Personal Information with our subsidiaries and affiliates to exchange information and maintain databases.
- Within Genome Medical. Where appropriate and necessary, we share your Personal Information between departments to maintain our business.
- With third-parties. We share your Personal Information with third-parties we collaborate with or retain to perform services on our behalf. Genome Medical requires these third-parties to protect your Personal Information using substantially similar standards to those outlined in this Notice. We also require that they do not use your Personal Information for any independent use that is not specifically authorized by Genome Medical .
- Corporate reorganization. We may share your personal information in connection with a sale or business transaction, such as a reorganization, merger, sale, joint venture, assignment, transfer for the purpose of facilitating and completing the transaction or other disposition of all or any portion of our business, assets, or stock (including in connection with any bankruptcy or similar proceedings).
- To prevent harm. We will share your Personal Information if we believe it is necessary to detect, investigate, prevent, or take action against illegal activities, fraud, or situations involving potential threats to the rights, property, or personal safety of any person.
- Sale. Genome Medical does not sell your Personal Information for money. However, Genome Medical does share personal information with third-party analytics providers and ad networks via cookies. Such sharing may be considered a “sale”. In the preceding twelve (12) months, Genome Medical has shared your internet or other electronic network activity information collected via cookies with our data analytics providers and ad network providers.
- In connection with Business Transactions. In business transactions we may share user information, including Personal Information, generally for signature of a contract. Therefore, we may disclose and/or transfer your Personal Information to a third-party in these circumstances.
HOW LONG YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION IS KEPT
We keep your Personal Information for as long as needed or legally permitted for the purpose(s) for which it was obtained, unless otherwise provided in agreements between you and Genome Medical or as required or authorized by law.
Where permitted by law, non-personally identifiable information and data may be automatically collected through the standard operation of Genome Medical ’s Internet service or through the use of “cookies” or “internet tags” and other similar techniques. We use technologies such as local storage and cookies to store an access token on your browser which enables us to recognize you and your preferences the next time that you log in. We do this specifically to (i) ensure the website functions properly; (ii) track you within the website; (iii) enhance user experience; (iv) conduct analytics to improve the website; (v) prevent fraudulent use of the website; and (vi) diagnose and repair technical errors within the website and, in cases of abuse, track and mitigate the abuse. Genome Medical uses three types of cookies:
- Essential Cookies. These are placed on your computer to let our website function as intended, by allowing the pages to display correctly. Without these, our website would be prevented from working and would be unusable.
- Preferences & Functionality Cookies: These cookies allow our website to remember how our site behaves or looks based on your preferences (e.g. your preferred language or the region you are in). These cookies can also assist you in changing text size, font, and allow you to personalize the pages based on your preferences. These cookies help enhance your experience and disabling these cookies may make our website less functional; disabling these cookies, however, should not prevent our website from working.
How to restrict cookies: You may restrict or block web browser cookies on your device, through your browser settings (usually found under “privacy” or “ads”). Alternatively, you may wish to visit www.aboutcookies.org, which contains comprehensive information on how to do this on a wide variety of desktop browsers.
Do Not Track Disclosure: Some internet browsers allow you to limit or disable the use of tracking technologies that collect this data. We currently do not support Do Not Track signals.
DATA INTEGRITY AND SECURITY
The confidentiality of Personal Information transmitted over the Internet or method of electronic storage cannot be guaranteed; therefore, when submitting Personal Information to Genome Medical online, you must weigh both the benefits and the risks. While Genome Medical cares about your privacy and has implemented reasonable steps to protect your Personal Information from unauthorized access, disclosure, alteration or destruction, we cannot guarantee the security of your Personal Information. Genome Medical collects Personal Information in compliance with its intended use and it is accurate, complete, and current.
UPDATING AND ACCESSING YOUR DATA
We encourage you to update the Personal Information you provide Genome Medical periodically. Additionally, Genome Medical complies with laws and regulations relating to your rights to amend your Personal Information in our files when permissible. All requests to update or access your Personal Information will be subject to verification of your identity to protect you. If you wish to access or correct your Personal Information, you can contact Genome Medical Legal at email@example.com and we will respond to your request.
You may unsubscribe from our marketing emails at any time by following the instructions included in those emails. Any requests to opt-out of future communications from Genome Medical, or to opt-out of a particular Genome Medical program, should be directed to Genome Medical using the contact method indicated in the marketing email.
CHILDREN’S ONLINE PRIVACY
Genome Medical ’s website is not directed at children under 13. If you are under 13, do not use or provide any Personal Information to Genome Medical . If we learn that we have collected or received Personal Information from a child under 13 without parental consent, or if you become aware that we may have such information, alert us immediately at firstname.lastname@example.org so that we can delete this information. For more information about protecting the privacy of children online in the United States under the Children’s Online Privacy Protection Act (“COPPA”), please visit: http://www.ftc.gov/ogc/coppa1.htm.
Minors under 18 years of age may have the Personal Information that they provide to us deleted by sending an email requesting deletion to email@example.com. Please note that, while we make reasonable efforts to comply with such requests, deletion of your personal information does not ensure complete and comprehensive removal of that data from all systems.
LINKS AND THIRD-PARTY SITES
Our website may contain links or references to third-party websites, but this Notice does not apply to third-party operated or controlled websites. Accessing these sources requires that you leave our website, and we are not responsible for the privacy practices of those third-party websites. Genome Medical may also allow social media companies (e.g., Facebook) to put “widgets” on Genome Medical ’s website. These third-party tools may also be used to track you across websites. For example, so long as you are logged in to Facebook, every time you land on a webpage that has a Facebook widget, Facebook will know you are on that webpage. Genome Medical does not control the privacy practices of these third parties. If you do not wish to enter another website, do not click on such links.
SUPPLEMENTAL TERMS FOR SPECIFIC GEOGRAPHIC AREAS
The following provisions are applicable to persons from the geographic areas specifically named below. These provisions supersede any conflicting general statements made above. To the extent that any Personal Information is sent outside of an individual’s country, it is subject to the laws of the country in which it is held, and may be subject to disclosure to the governments, courts, or law enforcement or regulatory agencies of such other country, pursuant to the laws of such country.
Genome Medical endeavors to obtain assurances from its service providers and affiliates that they will safeguard Personal Information consistent with this Notice, such as by providing at least the same level of protection as is required by Genome Medical ’s privacy principles set out here. Where Genome Medical has knowledge that a service provider or affiliate is using or disclosing Personal Information in a manner contrary to this Notice, Genome Medical will take appropriate steps to prevent or stop the use or disclosure.
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants certain rights to California residents. To the extent the CCPA applies to our processing of your personal information, you would be entitled to the following rights:
Right to Access. You have the right to request the Personal Information we have collected, used, disclosed, and sold about you.
- Right to Deletion. You have the right to request deletion of your personal information, subject to certain exceptions.
- Right to Opt-Out of Selling. You have the right to opt-out of the sale of your personal information to third parties. Genome Medical does not have actual knowledge that it sells personal information of minors under the age of sixteen (16).
- Right to Non-Discrimination. You have the right to not receive discriminatory treatment if and when you exercise your rights under the CCPA.
If you are a California resident and want to submit a request exercising your rights, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or by mail at the address listed below. You must provide us with sufficient information that allows us to reasonably verify who you are and describe your request with sufficient detail to allow us to properly evaluate and respond to it. If we are unable to verify your identity with the information provided, we may ask you for additional pieces of information. Only you, or a person registered with the California Secretary of State that you authorize to act on your behalf, may make a request related to your Personal Information. If you are an authorized agent making a request on behalf of another individual, you must provide us with signed documentation that you are authorized to act on behalf of that individual. Please note that we are not obligated to respond to more than two access requests for the same individual’s Personal Information within a 12-month period.
California law also permits California residents to request certain information about our disclosure of Personal Information to third parties for their own direct marketing purposes during the preceding calendar year. As discussed elsewhere in this Notice, we do not currently share the Personal Information of California residents with third parties for their own direct marketing purposes. However, if you have further questions about our privacy practices and compliance with California law, please contact us as explained below.
If you have questions or comments about our privacy practices or this Notice or to request this Notice in another form, contact us at:
Genome Medical Inc.
701 Gateway Blvd #380,
South San Francisco, CA 94080
Attn: Legal Department